Some facts about Australia - Referat
I want to present you something about Australia. At first I tell you some generally facts. Australia is the biggest island of the world, but also the smallest continent with an area of 7.7 Mio square kilometers. Australia is divided up into six states and two territories:
- New South Wales with the capital Sydney,
- Queensland with the capital Brisbane,
- South Australia with the capital Adelaide,
- Tasmania with the capital Hobart,
- Victoria with the capital Melbourne,
- West Australia with the capital Perth,
- Northern territory with the capital Darwin and the
- Capital territory with the capital Canberra.
Canberra, where 340.000 Inhabitants live, is also the capital of Australia. Sydney is the biggest city in Australia with 3.3 Mio inhabitants. Although Australia is the biggest island, there only live 20 Mio people. In comparison to that:
England has 49 Mio Inhabitants
Now I want to explain you the flag of Australia. You can divide the flag into 3 elements.
• In the top left corner, there is the Union Jack. It represents the influence of Great Britain to Australia, because Australia is the part of the Commonwealth. The Commonwealth is a former community of Nations. These fifty-three independent states were parts of the British Empire.
• Under the Union Jack is a big white-star, it is called “Commonwealth star”. 6 rays stand for the 6 states and 1 ray for the territories.
• In the right half of the flag you can see five more pointed-stars. They stand for the constellation “Cross of the South”.
Now we have a look on the Aborigines. They live together in big family groups and each group with its own language and culture. Today there are only 1% Aborigines of the Australian population. Since 1788, when the Europeans came to Australia there were almost 300 languages spoken. The Europeans accupied their land and oppress the minority. The Aborigines way of life was savage (wild) for the Europeans, for that reasons they were treated like animals and they didn`t have civil rights. Today they live in the outback and the white population accepts their way of life. I found out that 38% of the Aborigines are unemployed.
You can see the typical appearance (ausgeprägt) of the Aborigines on this picture.
The appearance of them:
They have a very dark skin, and black hairs. Their lips are mostly very pronounced.
In Australia there are more than 20.000 different kind of plants. Nearly 90% of them exist only in Australia. I think one of the most famous plant is the gum tree. There are 400 sorts of them.
I think the best known animal of Australia is the kangaroo. They belong to the marsupials (Beuteltier). That means that their babies grow up in their bags. In this picture you can see a big red kangaroo. It can jump 23 meters wide.
An other familiar animal is the koala. Although it looks like a bear. It belongs to the marsupials, too. The koalas eat the leaves of the gum trees. In Australia live 400.000 koalas.
Now I want to tell you something about the sights. The most popular sight is the Opera House in Sydney. Inside are 5 theatres, the Concert Hall, the Opera Theatre, the Drama Theatre, the Playhouse and the Studio Theatre. Altogether there are 1000 rooms inside. Behind the Opera House is the Harbour Bridge. It is the second highlight after the Opera House. It is 1.149 meters long and 49 meters wide. It takes 8 years until the Harbour Bridge was built. It opened on March 19th, 1932. Another sight is the Uluru. It is also calls Ayers Rock, because of its discoverer. It is 4,5 km long, 2,5 km wide and 350 meters tall. The Uluru is a holy place for the Aborigines, and it is forbidden to climb on it. The Great Barrier Reef is a famous attraction of Australia, too. It is 2000 kilometers long and 40 kilometers wide. The area of it includes 345.000 square kilometers. It is older than 10.000 years and it consists of 400 different coral types, 1.500 sorts of fish and 4000 arts of mollusks. The world under the water is very fascinating.
Dieses Referat wurde eingesandt vom User: djcrowcrow
Kommentare zum Referat Some facts about Australia: